Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Race is On... And we are already Behind!

I teach math. Let it be noted that our school is NI-4 because of mathematics. We have a special state lady who consults with every mathematics teacher on a daily basis. Every day, for thirty minutes, we target poor mathematics students with intensive, test-preparation studies. (Most of these students are traditionally unsuccessful in math and, as a result, most of them hate math.) And, some of our students are currently enrolled in 3 mathematics courses - remedial math, math support, and regular math - allowing them 2.5-3 hours a day for a subject they are traditionally unsuccessful in and quite honestly a subject they hate. Unfortunately, this problem isn't unique to our school, it is rampant across America. Schools are continually striving to do better, to serve better, to teach better. And, the measurement we use to guage learning is a standardized test.

In Chapter one of Readicide, Gallagher writes, "reluctant readers drown in test preparation, ensuring any chance they may have had of developing a lifelong reading habit is lost. Worse than turning off to reading, students grow to hate reading (page 17)." WOW! Boy do I agree! And, for me personally - I relate this phenomenon to mathematics. When we force a student to continually emerse himself or herself shallowly into a subject they are unsuccessful, we set them up for failure. When we fail to go back and review the basics a student missed because we are on a strict schedule due to testing, we set them up for failure. Our school systems are so test driven, we continually miss the mark. Education is about learning, not about testing. And, "when they [students] perform poorly on mandated tests, we respond by giving them an intensified dose of the ineffective treatment" (Readicide, 23)... we set our students up for failure when we "immerse our students in a curriculum that drives the love of reading out of them, prevents them from developing into deeper thinkers, ensures the achievement gap will remain, reduces their college readiness, and guarantees the result will be that our schools will fail (Readicide, 23). We as educators need to get a grip and realize its not about the test - its about our students. And, we need to refocus our teaching strategies to accompany a learning friendly environment.

4 comments:

  1. You are really getting to the deeper issues! What about teaching and learning? I will be interested to see how you can apply what Gallagher has to say to math classroom. Math is under siege as well. I look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying! As an English teacher, everyday I have students whining that we have to read (remember I teach Literature). I can relate to your students because I don't teach math for a reason. I missed one week in the 7th grade due to an illness. That week they learned fractions...I've been lost ever since. Imagine if they had been "teaching" the test. I never would have graduated high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Education is about learning, not about testing." Amen! I've taught for seven years in private schools, and I quit to be able to see what's up in public education. Oh, my! The tests control everything! Really, my field placement leaves me shocked. I don't remember, as a student, knowing what the objectives for the day were nor hearing the name of any standardized test more than a week or two before they actually happened.

    I've worked with students who need remediation in math, and it bothers me to hear about kids who struggle spending 2.5-3 hours in math classes each day. Needless to say, that's not fixing the problem. I also see the previous comment and wonder if anyone has investigated the histories of these students to find out if/when they missed a chunk of school and need some gaps filled in. More time won't do anything if we don't find out what they don't know, and I'm not sure that can be done effectively in groups. I don't know the answer, but I agree with you that the options that others are trying aren't working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, dear, tell us how you really feel! Loved this blog because I agree and say Continue to Preach! The system does seem to set our kids up for failure. "Our school systems are so test driven, we continually miss the mark. Education is about learning, not about testing." This might should be on the front page of the paper (as this is as much reading as many people do these days). Question: How can we "get a grip" and fight for our students and yet still keep our jobs? Can we fight the system that seems to be breaking down but isn't broken yet?

    ReplyDelete